24 May 2009

Niue? No Way!

After completing work at the Office of the Auditor-General, I took a most relaxing week-long vacation in the small island country of Niue (the world's smallest self-governing country, with just about 1000 permanent residents!). I was looking for a far away place to empty my mind of any thoughts of New Zealand Police or the Local Government sector's Water Supply Asset Management Plans. The chapter of my life as a government auditor in New Zealand was coming to an end, and it was nearly time to return home.

I traveled around the island of Niue by bicycle (my second cross-country bicycle trip) and I met many wonderful people among some beautiful scenery. Niue is famous for its sea arches and limestone caves (the island, nicknamed "the Rock", is a coral atoll which was raised several times out of the ocean). The deep sea and reef fishing was also spectacular (thanks to my host, Des Hipa, from Teresa's guest house). Here are some snapshots of what I saw:



2 comments:

AMH said...

What wonderful photos! As always, you have a great way of looking at the world.

sedrick said...

can't wait for you to do this at the pride in NY. excellent work.